Aircraft / Planes
Buildings & City
Drawing & Painting
Gothic / Dark Art
Angkor Wat, CambodiaMale Celebrities
Brooklyn Bridge, New..
Cape Hatteras Lighth..
Chateau De Chambord ..
Chiang Kai-shek Memo..
Colosseum in Rome, I..
Eilean Donan Castle,..
Golden Gate Bridge, ..
Hearst Castle, San S..
Himeji Castle, Himej..
Matsumoto Castle, Ja..
Mount Rushmore, Sout..
New York Statue Of L..
Odawara Castle, Japa..
Pyramid at Louvre Mu..
Sydney Opera House, ..
Taj Mahal, India
Temple of Poseidon, ..
The Parthenon Acropo..
Tower Bridge, London..
Popular tagsView all...
Information about York MinsterYork Minster is a Gothic cathedral in York, England and is one of the largest of its kind in Northern Europe alongside Cologne Cathedral. The Minster is the seat of the Archbishop of York, the second-highest office of the Church of England, and is cathedral for the Diocese of York; it is run by a Dean and Chapter under the Dean of York. The formal title of York Minster is The Cathedral and Metropolitan Church of St Peter in York. Services in the Minster are sometimes regarded as on the high church Anglo-Catholicism side of the Anglican scale.
It has a very wide Decorated Gothic nave and chapter house, a Perpendicular Gothic choir and east end, and Early English north and south transepts. The nave contains the West Window, constructed in 1338 (679 years ago), and over the Lady Chapel in the east end is the Great East Window, (finished in 1408 (609 years ago)), the largest expanse of medieval stained glass in the world. In the north transept is the Five Sisters Window, each lancet being over 16 metres (52 ft) high. The south transept contains the famous Rose window.
HistoryYork has had a Christian presence from the 300s. The first church on the site was a wooden structure built hurriedly in 627 to provide a place to baptise Edwin, King of Northumbria. Moves toward a more substantial building began in the 630s. A stone structure was completed in 637 by Oswald and was dedicated to Saint Peter. The church soon fell into disrepair and was dilapidated by 670 when Saint Wilfrid ascended to the see of York; he put in place efforts to repair and renew the structure. The attached school and library were established and by the 8th century were some of the most substantial in northern Europe.
In 741 the church was destroyed in a fire. It was rebuilt as a more impressive structure, containing thirty altars. The church and the entire area then passed through the hands of numerous invaders, and its history is obscure until the 10th century. There was a series of Benedictine archbishops, including Saint Oswald, Wulfstan, and Ealdred, who travelled to Westminster to crown William in 1066 (951 years ago). Ealdred died in 1069 (948 years ago) and was buried in the church.
The church was damaged in 1069 (948 years ago), but the first Norman archbishop, arriving in 1070 (947 years ago), organised repairs. The Danes destroyed the church in 1075 (942 years ago), but it was again rebuilt from 1080 (937 years ago). Built in the Norman style, it was 365 feet (111 m) long and rendered in white and red lines. The new structure was damaged by fire in 1137 (880 years ago) but was soon repaired. The choir and crypt were remodelled in 1154 (863 years ago), and a new chapel was built, all in the Norman style.
The Gothic style in cathedrals had arrived in the mid 12th century. Walter de Gray was made archbishop in 1215 (802 years ago) and ordered the construction of a Gothic structure to compare to Canterbury; building began in 1220 (797 years ago). The north and south transepts were the first new structures; completed in the 1250s, both were built in the Early English Gothic style but had markedly different walls. A substantial central tower was also completed, with a wooden spire. Building continued into the 15th century.
The Chapter House was begun in the 1260s, and it was completed before 1296 (721 years ago). The wide nave was constructed from the 1280 (737 years ago) on the Norman foundations. The outer roof was completed in the 1330s, but the vaulting was not finished until 1360 (657 years ago). Construction then moved on to the eastern arm and chapels, with the last Norman structure, the choir, being demolished in the 1390 (627 years ago). Work here finished around 1405 (612 years ago). In 1407 (610 years ago) the central tower collapsed; the piers were then reinforced, and a new tower was built from 1420 (597 years ago). The western towers were added between 1433 (584 years ago) and 1472 (545 years ago). The cathedral was declared complete and consecrated in 1472 (545 years ago).
The English Reformation led to the first Anglican archbishop, the looting of much of the cathedral's treasures, and the loss of much of the church lands. Under Elizabeth I there was a concerted effort to remove all traces of the Roman Catholic Church from the cathedral; there was much destruction of tombs, windows, and altars. In the English Civil War the city was besieged and fell to the forces of Cromwell in 1644 (373 years ago), but Thomas Fairfax prevented any further damage to the cathedral.
Following the easing of religious tensions there was some work to restore the cathedral. From 1730 (287 years ago) to 1736 (281 years ago) the whole floor of the Minster was relaid in patterned marble, and from 1802 (215 years ago) there was a major restoration. However, on 2 Feb. 1829 (188 years ago) an arson attack by Non-Conformist Jonathan Martin inflicted heavy damage on the east arm, and an accidental fire in 1840 (177 years ago) left the nave, south west tower, and south aisle roofless, blackened shells. The cathedral slumped deeply into debt, and in the 1850 (167 years ago) services were suspended, but from 1858 (159 years ago) Augustus Duncome worked successfully to revive the cathedral.
During the 20th century there was more concerted preservation work, especially following a 1967 (50 years ago) survey that revealed the building, in particular the central tower, was close to collapse. £2,000,000 was raised and spent by 1972 (45 years ago) to reinforce and strengthen the building foundations and roof. During the excavations that were carried out, remains of the north corner of the Roman Principia were found under the south transept. This area, as well as remains of the Norman cathedral, can be visited by stairs down to the undercroft.
A fire in 1984 (33 years ago) destroyed the roof in the south transept, and around £2.5 million was spent on repairs. Restoration work was completed in 1988 (29 years ago), and included new roof bosses to designs which had won a competition organised by BBC TV's Blue Peter programme. In 2007 (10 years ago) renovation began on the east front, including the Great East Window, at an estimated cost of £23 million.
External links to York MinsterAdd a new link
Linked to York Minster
These wallpapers are free for personal use on computer screens only.
Images belong to their respective copyright holders.
They may not be redistributed, offered for sale, included on CDs, or used for printed material.
Upload a new wallpaper