Angkor Wat, Cambodia
Brooklyn Bridge, New..
Cape Hatteras Lighth..
Chateau De Chambord ..
Chiang Kai-shek Memo..
Colosseum in Rome, I..
Eilean Donan Castle,..
Golden Gate Bridge, ..
Hearst Castle, San S..
Himeji Castle, Himej..
Matsumoto Castle, Ja..
Mount Rushmore, Sout..
New York Statue Of L..
Odawara Castle, Japa..
Pyramid at Louvre Mu..
Sydney Opera House, ..
Taj Mahal, India
Temple of Poseidon, ..
The Parthenon Acropo..
Tower Bridge, London..
Split Rock Lighthouse, Minnesota
Tags: lighthouse (39 pics)
Split Rock Lighthouse is a lighthouse located just south of Silver Bay, Minnesota, USA on the North Shore of Lake Superior. The structure was designed by lighthouse engineer Ralph Russell Tinkham and was completed in 1910 (104 years ago) by the United States Lighthouse Service at a cost of $75,000, including the buildings and the land. It is built on a 130-foot (40 m) sheer cliff of anorthosite. The lighthouse was first lit on Jul. 31, 1910 (104 years ago). It was built in response to the loss of ships during the famous Mataafa Storm of 1905 (109 years ago), in which 29 ships were lost on Lake Superior. One of these shipwrecks, the Madeira, is located just north of the lighthouse. Compare, Great Lakes Storm of 1913 (101 years ago).
The tower of the lighthouse is hexagonal and constructed of brick, reinforced with a steel skeleton. It is topped with a steel lantern. The lighthouse features a large third order, bi-valve type Fresnel lens (pronounced [freɪ'nel]) manufactured by Barbier, Bernard and Turenne Company in Paris, France. The lens floats on a bearing surface of liquid mercury. Originally, the lens was rotated by an elaborate clockwork mechanism that was powered by counterweights running down the center of the tower. When completed, the lighthouse was lighted with an incandescent oil vapor lamp that burned kerosene. In 1940 (74 years ago), the station was electrified and the lamp was replaced with a 1000 watt electric bulb.
Split Rock was also outfitted with a fog signal housed in a building next to the light tower. The original signal was a pair of steam sirens driven by two Franklin 30 hp (22 kW) gasoline-driven air compressors manufactured by Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company. In 1932 (82 years ago) the gasoline engines were replaced with diesel engines. The steam sirens were replaced with a Type F-2-T diaphone (be-you) type signal in 1936 (78 years ago). When the station was electrified four years later, the fog signal began to be powered by electricity. The fog signal was discontinued in 1961 (53 years ago).
The light was retired in 1969 (45 years ago) by the U. S. Coast Guard. The lighthouse is now part of the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and is operated by the Minnesota Historical Society. The site includes the original tower and lens, the fog signal building, the oil house, and the three keepers' houses. It is restored to appear as it did in the late 1920 (94 years ago). It is a state park. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 (45 years ago). Notwithstanding that the light has been retired, every Nov. 10 the lighthouse emits a light in memory of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which sank on that date in 1975 (39 years ago).
The United States Postal Service issued a stamp that featured the light on Jun. 17, 1995 (19 years ago). It was one of five lighthouses chosen for the "Lighthouses of the Great Lakes" series postage stamp designed by Howard Koslow in 1995 (19 years ago). There was one lighthouse chosen on each of the Great Lakes. The five lighthouses are Split Rock Light on Lake Superior, St Joseph Light on Lake Michigan, Spectacle Reef Light on Lake Huron, Marblehead Light (Ohio) on Lake Erie and Thirty Mile Point Light on Lake Ontario.
Because of its picturesque form and location, it has been the subject of many photographs and postcards.
Use this wallpaper
Users who have seen this wallpaper have also seen:
New York Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada
Pyramid at Louvre Museum, Paris, France
Tower Bridge, London, England
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Random Known places pictures
Texas State Capitol, located in the heart of Austin
Ski Resort, Savoie, France
Presidential Palace, Kremlin, Moscow, Russia
Hoover Dam Bypass
Phra Thinang Aisawan Thipha-Art
Request deletion of this wallpaper
Claim ownership of this picture