Angkor Wat, Cambodia
Brooklyn Bridge, New..
Cape Hatteras Lighth..
Chateau De Chambord ..
Chiang Kai-shek Memo..
Colosseum in Rome, I..
Eilean Donan Castle,..
Golden Gate Bridge, ..
Hearst Castle, San S..
Himeji Castle, Himej..
Matsumoto Castle, Ja..
Mount Rushmore, Sout..
New York Statue Of L..
Odawara Castle, Japa..
Pyramid at Louvre Mu..
Sydney Opera House, ..
Taj Mahal, India
Temple of Poseidon, ..
The Parthenon Acropo..
Tower Bridge, London..
Point Betsie Lighthouse, Frankfort, Michigan
Tags: lighthouse (39 pics)
Point Betsie Light is located on the northeast shore of Lake Michigan — at the southern entrance to the Manitou Passage — north of Frankfort in Benzie County in Northern Michigan. Construction began in 1858 (157 years ago), but it was not completed until 1858 (157 years ago), and began service in the shipping season of 1859 (156 years ago). The lighthouse cost $5000 to build. In 1875 (140 years ago), a life saving station was built for $3000.
HistoryThe light was originally equipped with a Fourth Order Fresnel lens (pronounced [freɪ'nel]) with bullseye, which was upgraded to a Third order (with bullseye) in 1880 (135 years ago). The latter was visible for 27.5 miles (44.3 km), because of the high placement of the tower (focal plane of 52.5 feet) and the efficacy of the lens design. The Fresnel Lens was removed in 1996 (19 years ago), and there are plans to display it at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore..
The cylindrical tower is 39 feet (12 m) tall, but sits on a dune. It is attached to the Lighthouse keepers house, which was upgraded to an attractive gambrel roof design.
This was one of the earliest Life Saving Station, and was run under the auspices of the U.S. Life-Saving Service. In 1910 (105 years ago) the United States Lighthouse Board was reconstituted as the U.S. Lighthouse Service. In 1939 (76 years ago) these agencies were merged under the control of the U.S. Coast Guard.
Prior to being automated in 1983 (32 years ago), the 'wickies' operated the light for 106 years. This was the last manned lighthouse on Lake Michigan. The light is now a Vega VRB-25 250 mm acrylic optic. The new optic would be visible for a range of 15 to 22 miles (35 km), depending on the bulb used.
In addition to the light tower, keeper's house, and lifesaving station, the site presently includes a fog signal building and an oil house.
Fog signals have received much attention at Point Betsie. In the autumn of 1912 (103 years ago), the fog signal building was rebuilt. The 10-inch (250 mm) locomotive whistles were replaced by 10-inch (250 mm) chime whistles. Meanwhile, the lamp was upgraded to an incandescent oil vapor system, with an intensity of 55,000 candlepower. In 1921 (94 years ago), upon being connected to the electrical power grid, aa 110-volt electric bulb was installed, and the fog signal upgraded to twin Type "G" diaphones, driven by electric air compressors. The diaphone doubled the audible radius, and had the added benefit that it could be brought on line immediately, without waiting for steam engines to build pressure. The following Apr. the fog signal's characteristic was changed to a group of two blasts every 30 seconds.
The light is located on Point Betsie, Michigan, which in turn is part of a recognized terrestrial marine near shore ecosystem, dominated by a coastal dune with unique flora and fauna, including Pitcher's Thistle, Lake Huron Locust, and fascicled broomrape.
Current statusThe station was transferred to Benzie County under the terms of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act in 2004 (11 years ago).
It has been repainted to its original color scheme, which had not been seen since the 1940 (75 years ago). The "Friends of Point Betsie Lighthouse" have undertaken a complete restoration of the station.
Point Betsie is said to be one of America's most photographed lighthouses, and the most-visited attraction in Benzie County. Because of its picturesque form and location, it is often the subject of photographs and drawings. Even needlepoint illustrations have been rendered.
It is listed on the National Register of Historical Places, Reference #84001375.
Use this wallpaper
Users who have seen this wallpaper have also seen:
Chateau d'Amboise, France
Ski Resort, Savoie, France
Rialto Bridge, Grand Canal, Venice, Italy
Finistire, Brittany, France
Random Known places pictures
Rialto Bridge, Grand Canal, Venice, Italy
Hydra, Greek Island
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Čapljina - King Tomislav place
Durdle Door Lulworth Cove Dorset England
Request deletion of this wallpaper
Claim ownership of this picture