3 Dimensional
3D Landscape
Aircraft / Planes
Buildings & City
Digital art
Drawing & Painting
Female Celebrities
Gothic / Dark Art
Known places
Male Celebrities

Popular tags
1. Boris Vallejo
2. Megan Fox
3. Lingerie
4. Luis Royo
5. Christmas
6. Fhm
7. Jessica Alba
8. Windows 7
9. Japan
10. Hawaii
11. Body Painting
12. Dragon
13. New York
14. Castle
15. Falls
16. Final Fantasy
17. Horse
18. Tiger
19. Native American
20. Thomas Kinkade
View all...

1. Gadkoij
2. Striker
3. Playboy
4. Visionfez
5. Stiannius
6. Getsumtreacle
7. Nyleen
8. Doman
9. Antigesha
10. Toxicwolf
11. Wolfram
12. Annihilation1211
13. Katrin
14. Ii=saadhu=ii
15. Mc00078
16. Danceofcobra
17. Chrisgin
18. Elrincondelnabo-blogsp...
19. Maf04
20. Deinha1974
View all...
New Canal Lighthouse Louisiana

New Canal Lighthouse Louisiana (Known places)

Twitter Share
FaceBook Share

Tags: lighthouse (39 pics)

The New Basin Canal, also known as the New Orleans Canal and the New Canal, was a shipping canal in New Orleans, Louisiana from the 1830 (186 years ago) through the 1940 (76 years ago).

The New Basin Canal was constructed by the New Orleans Canal and Banking Company, incorporated in 1831 (185 years ago) with a capital of 4 million United States dollars. The intent was to build a shipping canal from Lake Pontchartrain through the swamp land to the booming Uptown or "American" section of the city, to compete with the existing Carondelet Canal in the Downtown Creole part of the city. Work commenced the following year. Yellow fever ravaged workers in the swamp in back of the town, and the loss of slaves was judged too expensive, so most of the work was done by Irish immigrant laborers. The Irish workers died in great numbers, but the Company had no trouble finding more workers to take their place, as shiploads of poor Irishmen arrived in New Orleans, and many were willing to risk their lives in hazardous backbreaking work for a chance to earn $1 a day. By 1838 (178 years ago), after an expense of $1million, the 60-foot (18 m) wide 3.17-mile (5.10 km) long canal was complete enough to be opened to small vessels drawing 6 feet (1.8 m), with $0.375 per ton charged for passage. Over the next decade the canal was enlarged to 12 feet (3.7 m) deep, 100 feet (30 m) wide, and with shell roads alongside. No official count was kept of the deaths of the immigrant workers; estimates ranging from 4,000 to 30,000 have been published, with most historical best guesses falling in the 8,000 to 20,000 dead range. Many were buried with no marking in the levee and roadway fill beside the canal.

The Canal joined with Lake Pontchartrain around the present day intersection of Robert E. Lee and West End Boulevards, but jetties were added on both sides extending into the lake, one with a lighthouse standing on the far end. From the lake the canal headed south through the swamp, cut through the highground of Metairie Ridge, through the mid-city lowlands, into the city, ended in a turning-basin at Rampart Street & Howard Avenue in what is now the New Orleans Central Business District.

The canal was commercially important through the 19th century, and served additional uses as improving drainage in nearby areas and being used to harvest the bald cypress trees in what is now the Lakeview neighborhood, which were brought in to the city near the river via the canal and used to build many Uptown houses.

The importance of the canal declined after World War I, especially with the opening of the Industrial Canal in 1923 (93 years ago). In 1936 (80 years ago) the Louisiana Legislature passed a state constitutional amendment to close the canal. In 1937-1938 the area back to Claiborne Avenue was filled in, but the rest of the length continued functioning on a more limited scale until after World War II. The rest was filled in by about 1950 (66 years ago), except for a half mile long stretch at the lakefront by the lighthouse which was left as a small boat and yachting harbor and continues to exist.

Much of the route became the Pontchartrain Expressway in the 1950s, which was incorporated into I-10 the following decade. The stretch from the Interstate to Robert E Lee became a long narrow park by West End Boulevard. On Nov. 4, 1990 (26 years ago) the Irish Cultural Society of New Orleans dedicated a large Kilkenny marble Celtic cross in the park to commemorate the Irish workers who constructed the canal.

The lighthouse that stands at the entrance to the canal, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, was heavily damaged during the 2005 (11 years ago) hurricane season. By the end of hurricane season the first floor had collapsed and its cupola had fallen off. In 2006 (10 years ago) the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation signed a lease with the United States Coast Guard to repair the damaged lighthouse.



Use this wallpaper


Users who have seen this wallpaper have also seen:

Colosseum in Rome, Italy
Colosseum in Rome, Italy
Matsumoto Castle, Japan
Matsumoto Castle, Japan
Manarola, Italy
Manarola, Italy
Heian Shrine, Kyoto, Japan
Heian Shrine, Kyoto, Japan
Phra Thinang Vehasjumroon 2
Phra Thinang Vehasjumroon 2

Random Known places pictures

Phra Thinang Aisawan Thipha-Art
Phra Thinang Aisawan Thipha-Art
Snow City
Snow City
Nikolaikirche Von
Nikolaikirche Von
Kata Tjuta, NT, Australia
Kata Tjuta, NT, Australia
Piazza Arco Degli Acetari, Rome, Italy
Piazza Arco Degli Acetari, Rome, Italy

This image is free for personal use on computer screens only. For more info read Privacy Policy

DeleteRequest deletion of this wallpaper
DeleteClaim ownership of this picture
 Sitemap | Contact Us