Angkor Wat, Cambodia
Brooklyn Bridge, New..
Cape Hatteras Lighth..
Chateau De Chambord ..
Chiang Kai-shek Memo..
Colosseum in Rome, I..
Eilean Donan Castle,..
Golden Gate Bridge, ..
Hearst Castle, San S..
Himeji Castle, Himej..
Matsumoto Castle, Ja..
Mount Rushmore, Sout..
New York Statue Of L..
Odawara Castle, Japa..
Pyramid at Louvre Mu..
Sydney Opera House, ..
Taj Mahal, India
Temple of Poseidon, ..
The Parthenon Acropo..
Tower Bridge, London..
Popular tagsView all...
Kilchurn Castle, Scotland
Tags: castle (129 pics)
Kilchurn Castle is a ruined 15th century structure on the northeastern end of Loch Awe, in Argyll and Bute, Scotland.
It was the ancestral home of the Campbells of Glenorchy, who later became the Earls of Breadalbane also known as the Breadalbane family branch, of the Clan Campbell. The earliest construction on the castle was the towerhouse and Laich Hall (looks onto Loch Awe). Today, its picturesque setting and romantic state of decay make it one of the most photographed structures in Scotland.
HistoryKilchurn Castle was built in about 1450 (567 years ago) by Sir Colin Campbell, first Lord of Glenorchy, as a five storey tower house with a courtyard defended by an outer wall. By about 1500 (517 years ago) an additional range and a hall had been added to the south side of the castle. Further buildings went up during the 1500 (517 years ago) and 1600 (417 years ago). Kilchurn was on a small island in Loch Awe scarcely larger than the castle itself, although it is now connected to the mainland as the water level was altered in 1817 (200 years ago). The castle would have been accessed via an underwater or low lying causeway.
At the turn of the 16th century Kilchurn Castle was extended by Sir Duncan Campbell with the addition of a single storey dining hall built along the inside of the south curtain. During the second half of the century, another Sir Colin Campbell, the 6th Laird, continued to improve the castle's accommodation by adding some chambers to the north of the tower house, and remodelling the parapet. This included the introduction of the circular corner turrets adorned by corbels, most of which have survived remarkably well.
Towards the end of the 16th century the Clan MacGregor of Glenstrae were occupying the castle. Once owning the lands of Glenorchy during the 14th century, until they passed through marriage to the Campbells, the MacGregors were appointed keepers to Kilchurn Castle as the Campbells spent much of their time at Fincharn. This arrangement lasted until the very early part of the 17th century, when a violent feud between the two families brought it to an end and the Campbells retook possession.
In 1681 (336 years ago) Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy was made 1st Earl of Breadalbane. To take advantage of the turbulence of the times, he converted Kilchurn into a modern barracks, capable of housing 200 troops. His main addition was the three storey L-shaped block along the north side.
Kilchurn was then used as a Government garrison during the 1715 (302 years ago) and 1745 (272 years ago) Jacobite risings. The Campbells attempted, unsuccessfully, to sell Kilchurn to the government, after they moved in 1740 (277 years ago) to Taymouth Castle in Perthshire.
In 1760 (257 years ago) the castle was badly damaged by lightning and was completely abandoned; the remains of a turret of a tower, still resting upside-down in the centre of the courtyard, attest to the violence of the storm.
The ruin is currently in the care of Historic Scotland, and is open to the public during the summer. Access, during summer only, is by either by boat from Lochawe pier, or on foot from Dalmally. Both points are on the A85 road. During 2006 (11 years ago) and 2007 (10 years ago) there was an access problem to the castle. Network Rail, in accordance with their policy of blocking foot crossings on railway lines, closed the crossing to Kilchurn, effectively removing land access. However in 2007 (10 years ago) access via the nearby viaduct was created, restoring landward access once more.
Use this wallpaper
Users who have seen this wallpaper have also seen:
Trakai Peninsula Castle, Lake Galve, Trakai, Lithuania
Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museum, Rome, Italy
Bastia, Corsica, France
Chateau d'Amboise, France
Random Known places pictures
Staten Island, New York, USA
Request deletion of this wallpaper
Claim ownership of this picture