Category
3 Dimensional
3D Landscape
Abstract
Aircraft / Planes
Animals
Boats
Buildings & City
Cars
Comics
Computer
Development
Digital art
Drawing & Painting
Fantasy
Female Celebrities
Games
Gothic / Dark Art
Known places
Male Celebrities
Miscellaneous
Motor
Movies
Music
Nature
Space
Sport

Popular tags
View all...

Artists
View all...
Cathedral Plaza De Armas, Lima, Peru

Cathedral Plaza De Armas, Lima, Peru (Known places)

Twitter Share
FaceBook Share


Plaza Mayor, Lima

The Plaza Mayor or Plaza de Armas of Lima, is the birthplace of the city of Lima, as well as the core of the city. Located in the Historic Centre of Lima, it is surrounded by the Government Palace, Cathedral of Lima, Archbishop's Palace of Lima, the Municipal Palace, and the Palace of the Union.

The Plaza de Armas is surrounded by the Jiron Junin, Jiron de la Union, Jiron Huallaga, and the Jiron Carabaja avenues.

In 1523 (496 years ago), King Charles I of Spain mandated the Procedures for the creation of cities in the New World. These procedures indicated that after outlining a city's plan, growth should follow a grid centered on the square shape of the plaza.

On the day of the foundation of the city, Jan. 18, 1535 (484 years ago), the conquistador Francisco Pizarro, conforming to established procedure, designated a location to build the plaza. Later, Pizarro and Nicolas de Rivera, the city's first mayor, toured the city's location and split parcels. Pizarro, taking advantage of his title of founder and governor, took a large parcel of land between the north side of the plaza and the Rimac river. The lot to the south of the plaza was designated to be a church, the western lot was to be the site of a city council, and the rest of the lots were divided among the rest of the conquistadors.

The 17th century historian Bernabé Cobo said of the plaza:

..."it is the finest and most well-formed [plaza] that I have ever seen, even in Spain. It occupies an entire block, with the width of four streets on one side and four streets on the other, and with all four sides it measures more than two thousand feet; it is very flat..."

Subsequently, the viceroy Diego López de Zúñiga y Velasco, count of Nieva, proposed the gallows, which had previously been located at the centre of the plaza, be moved nearer to the river to the location which is now the Desamparados train station. In place of it, a new water fountain was built at the centre of the plaza. The gallows were returned to the south side of the plaza on the Callejon de Petateros.

The first water fountain built on the plaza was constructed by the viceroy Francisco de Toledo, and was inaugurated on Oct. 21, 1578 (441 years ago). It consisted of a baluster and an elevated bowl, and in it had eight pipes through which water fell into the bowl on the next level. A ball at the top of the fountain dispersed water back onto the lower levels. The seal of the city was inscribed on this ball.

The water fountain was replaced in by the viceroy García Sarmiento de Sotomayor, count of Salvatierra, who inaugurated it on sep. 8, 1651 (368 years ago). This fountain remains as the centerpiece of the plaza to this day.

During the colonial era, the plaza served as a market, bull fighting ring, and the city gallows. The plaza also became home to the Auto de fe in which the inquisition occurred. The tribunal of the inquisition had one of its three courts located in Lima. The first conviction occurred on Nov. 15, 1573 (446 years ago) and this was the first heretic to be tried and executed in the new world.

In 1622 (397 years ago), the Cathedral of Lima is completed. This church still stands today on the plaza.

In 1821 (198 years ago), José de San Martín proclaimed the Independence of Peru on this plaza. After this historic event, the flag of the new republic was paraded around the plaza.

In 1855 (164 years ago), President Ramón Castilla inaugurated the first public gas lighting system which were first installed on the light posts of the plaza. Also at this time, gardens were planted on the plaza as up until this time it was made of pavement. In 1860 (159 years ago), the first rail ways for trams were installed on the plaza.

In 1922 (97 years ago), construction of the Archbishop's Palace of Lima was completed. In 1938 (81 years ago), the Government Palace was completed and in 1944 (75 years ago) the Municipal Palace was completed.


Navigation

Download

Use this wallpaper

Comments


Users who have seen this wallpaper have also seen:

Odawara Castle, Japan
Odawara Castle, Japan
Matsumoto Castle, Japan
Matsumoto Castle, Japan
St. Petersburg At Sunset
St. Petersburg At Sunset
Colosseum in Rome, Italy
Colosseum in Rome, Italy
Tower Bridge, London, England
Tower Bridge, London, England

Random Known places pictures

Island Capri
Island Capri
The Democracy Monument
The Democracy Monument
Montreal
Montreal
Tower Bridge, London, England
Tower Bridge, London, England
Phra Thinang Vehasjumroon 2
Phra Thinang Vehasjumroon 2





This image is free for personal use on computer screens only. For more info read Privacy Policy

DeleteRequest deletion of this wallpaper
DeleteClaim ownership of this picture
 Sitemap | Contact Us